Vanaras are a race of intelligent anthro monkeys with magical powers originating from Hindu mythology – in fact, two important Hindu hero-deities were vanara: Angada helped Rama to find his wife Sita, whilst Hanuman was instrumental in the epic Ramayana.
In /tg/ circles, vanaras are mostly known as one of the many playable races in Pathfinder , originating from their Asiatic kitchen-sink areas in Golarion . What more old-school fans will remember, however, is that Dungeons & Dragons did it first.
D&D[ edit ]
The D&D vanara appeared in the second Oriental Adventures (the 3e one), where they are described as looking like… well, humanoid monkeys; essentially if you took a large Indian Monkey, semiprehensile tail and all, and gave it the torso and limb proportions of a human. Mentally, they’re also very monkey-like; curious and bluntly honest, but at the same time incredibly loyal, quite brave, and genuinely kind.
Under the alignment system, they are described as being strongly chaotic and equally strongly good; they show little if any respect for social mores, rules with no purpose they can understand, or codes of discipline, but they hate tyranny and oppression as well all other forms of evil. They can force themselves to tolerate caste systems, but they are never truly accepting of them; different gifts may be given to different people, but valuing those gifts differently is an idea to reject, by their personal philosophy.
- +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Strength
- Base speed 30 feet
- Climb speed 20 feet
- +8 racial bonus on all climb checks, can always take 10 when climbing, can make an accelerated climb move at 30 feet per round and with only a single Climb check with a -5 penalty
- Low-light vision
- +4 racial bonus on Balance and Jump checks
- +2 racial bonus on Hide & Move Silently checks
- Favored Class: Shaman
Pathfinder[ edit ]
Actually, not much information is currently available about Pathfinder’s vanara. They come from the faux-India region of Vudra and are most common outside of that territory in Katapesh. There are also scattered colonies in Garund, the faux-Africa, but the presence of the savage, demon-worshiping apemen called the charau-ka kind of poses problems for would-be explorers.
Like their D&D and mythological ancestors, Pathfinder’s vanara are monkeys with the proportions of humans. Playful and goodly by nature, they also have a scholastic side, and do often become monks . In fact, they have their own monkly archetype, the Treetop Monk, who can use ki to boost its climbing speed, wield wooden weapons with greater efficiency, and spend ki to mimic a Freedom of Movement spell.
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
- Humanoid (Vanara)
- Base speed 30 feet
- Climb speed 30 feet
- Low-light vision
- Nimble: +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Stealth checks
- Prehensile Tail: Can be used to retrieve a small, stowed object carried on the vanara’s person as a swift action, but cannot be used to wield a weapon.
Alternate Racial Traits:
Tree Stranger: Lose Climb speed, treat all Knowledge skills as class skills.
Whitecape: Lose Prehensile Tail, gain a +4 racial bonus to CMD when resisting a bull rush or a trip.
|The Races of Pathfinder|
|Player’s Handbook :||Dwarf – Elf – Gnome – Half-Elf – Half-Orc – Halfling – Human|
| Aasimar – Catfolk – Changeling – Dhampir – Duergar |
Drow – Fetchling – Gillman – Goblin – Grippli – Hobgoblin
Ifrit – Kitsune – Kobold – Merfolk – Nagaji – Orc – Oread
Ratfolk – Samsaran – Strix – Suli – Svirfneblin – Sylph
Tengu – Tiefling – Undine – Vanara – Vishkanya – Wayang
|Bestiaries:|| Android – Astomoi – Caligni – Deep One Hybrid – Gathlain |
Gnoll – Kasatha – Munavri – Naiad – Orang-Pendak
Reptoid – Rougarou – Shabti – Trox – Yaddithian
| Inner Sea|
| Ghoran – Monkey Goblin – Lashunta – Skinwalker |
Syrinx – Triaxian – Wyrwood – Wyvaran
- Dungeons & Dragons stubs
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Pathfinder Races
- This page was last modified on 22 October 2017, at 05:57.
- Content is available under Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike unless otherwise noted.
- About 1d4chan
- Mobile view
- Basics & Ability Scores
- Alignment & Description
- Aquatic Adventurers
- Core Races
- Other Races
- Featured Races
- More Races
- Uncommon Races
- Duergar (8 RP)
- Grippli (6 RP)
- Suli (16 RP)
- Svirfneblin (24 RP)
- Vanara (8 RP)
- Treetop Monk (Monk; Vanara)
- Vishkanya (13 RP)
- 3rd Party Races
- Character Advancement
- Class Archetypes
- Core Classes
- Base Classes
- Alternate Classes
- Hybrid Classes
- Unchained Classes
- Prestige Classes
- NPC Classes
- Monster Classes (3pp)
- 3rd Party Classes
- Arcane Archetypes (3pp)
- 3rd Party Prestige Classes
- 3rd Party NPC Classes
- Magic Items
- Spells (Paizo, Inc.)
- Spells by Class (3rd Party)
- Building and Modifying Constructs
- Preconstructed Spellbooks
- Rare Cantrips
- Spells (3rd Party)
- Spells by Class
- Alchemist/Investigator Formulae
- Variant Magic Rules
- Pathfinder 2 Opinion Poll!
- Ultimate Strongholds
- Alternative Rule Systems
- Legal Information
Chat about d20pfsrd.com
Read our BLOG!
Report a Problem
Support this Site!
Shop our Store!
- Traveller SRD
- Swords and Wizardry SRD
- 5th Edition SRD
- Dungeon World SRD
- 13th Age SRD
- The Modern Path SRD
- 3.5e SRD
- Starjammer SRD
- OGN Articles
- Design Finder 2018
- Fudge SRD
- Pathfinder 2 Playtest
- Here Be Monsters
Home > Races > Other Races > Uncommon Races >
Vanara (8 RP)
- Random Vanara Starting Ages
- Random Vanara Height and Weight
- Standard Racial Traits
- Alternate Racial Traits
- Favored Class Options
- Racial Archetype
- Racial Feats
Random Vanara Starting Ages
|14 years||+1d4 years|
(15 – 18 years)
(15 – 20 years)
(16 – 26 years)
1 This category includes barbarians, oracles, rogues, and sorcerers.
2 This category includes bards, cavaliers, fighters, gunslingers, paladins, rangers, summoners, and witches.
3 This category includes alchemists, clerics, druids, inquisitors, magi, monks, and wizards.
Random Vanara Height and Weight
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4 ft. 8 in.||+2d8 in.||105 lbs.||+(2d8×5 lbs.)|
(115 – 185 lbs.)
|Female||4 ft. 2 in.||+2d8 in.||90 lbs.||+(2d8×5 lbs.)|
(100 – 170 lbs.)
|Racial Traits||Race Point Cost|
|Ability Score Modifiers||Standard (+2 Dex, +2 Wis, –2 Cha)||0|
Vanaras are intelligent, monkeylike humanoids that live in deep, warm forests and lush jungles. A vanara’s body is covered in a thin coat of soft fur, and individuals with chestnut, ivory, and even golden coats are common. Despite their fur, vanaras can grow lengthy hair on their head just as humans can, and both male and female vanaras take pains to wear elaborate hairstyles for important social functions. The hair on a vanara’s head matches the color of its fur. All vanaras have long, prehensile tails and handlike feet capable of well-articulated movements. A vanara stands slightly shorter and weighs slightly less than a typical human .
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Vanaras are agile and insightful, but are also rather mischievous. They gain +2 Dexterity , +2 Wisdom , and –2 Charisma .
- Type: Vanaras are humanoids with the vanara subtype.
- Size: Vanaras are Medium creatures and thus have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Speed: Vanaras have a base speed of 30 feet and a climb speed of 20 feet.
- Languages: Vanaras begin play speaking Common and Vanaran. Vanaras with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aklo, Celestial, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Sylvan. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
- Nimble: Vanaras have a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Stealth checks.
- Low-Light Vision: A vanara can see twice as far as a human in dim light.
- Prehensile Tail: A vanara has a long, flexible tail that she can use to carry objects. She cannot wield weapons with her tail, but the tail allows her to retrieve a small, stowed object carried on her person as a swift action .
Alternate Racial Traits
The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Risky Troublemaker: Some vanaras can choose to roll twice on Use Magic Device checks. If they do, they take the higher result unless either die roll is a natural 1, in which case the check automatically fails. This racial trait replaces prehensile tail. Source PZO9280
- Tree Stranger: Some vanaras have spent their lives among humans in centers of learning instead of traditional treetop homes. These vanaras treat all Knowledge skills as class skills, but lose their climb speed racial trait.
- Whitecape: The rare whitecape vanara clans have more in common with savanna-dwelling baboons than the jungle-dwelling monkeys that most vanaras resemble. Their stooping build grants them a +4 racial bonus to CMD when resisting a bull rush or trip . These vanaras usually have a thick mane of hair on the head and shoulders (called a “cape”) and shorter tails. This racial trait replaces prehensile tail.
Favored Class Options
The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Alchemist: Add +1/2 to the alchemist’s bomb damage.
- Druid: Add a +1/2 bonus on wild empathy checks and a +1/2 bonus on Handle Animal skill checks.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the Fighter’s CMD when resisting a reposition or trip attempt.
- Monk: Add a +1 bonus on Acrobatics checks made to jump.
- Ranger: Add +1/4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against the ranger’s favored enemies .
- Rogue: The rogue gains 1/6 of a new rogue talent .
The following racial archetype is available to vanaras:
The following feats are available to a vanara character who meets the prerequisites.
- Tree Hanger
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Race Guide © 2012, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Dennis Baker, Jesse Benner, Benjamin Bruck, Jason Bulmahn, Adam Daigle, Jim Groves, Tim Hitchcock, Hal MacLean, Jason Nelson, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Owen K.C. Stephens, Todd Stewart, and Russ Taylor.
Shop the Open Gaming Store!
Sell in the Open Gaming Store!
Report a Problem
Hero Lab Community Repository
- The Farmer (Brawler Archetype) December 1, 2018 mmiller
- The Magic Shoppe: Goblin Items November 30, 2018 Michael Vail-Steele
- Creative Characters for Starfinder – Suzetta Biretta, Goblin Matron November 29, 2018 jtmoriarty
- Creative Characters – Belmarniss, the Whisper in the Darkness November 28, 2018 markt
- Creature Feature (5e): Lildroc November 27, 2018 Quin Callahan
- 3 RPG Crowdfundings You Should Back – How Orcus Stole Christmas!, Mythic Mania 2, and Tegel Manor Returns! November 26, 2018 Egg Embry
- Creature Feature (Starfinder): The King of Worms November 25, 2018 nwright
- Saturday Potpourri – The Cunning Striker (Rogue Archetype) November 24, 2018 mmiller
- The Magic Shoppe: Unseen Ioun Stones November 23, 2018 Michael Vail-Steele
- 3 RPG Kickstarters You Should Back – The Gilded Road, Lamp’s Light Sanitarium, and Grim and the Wicked November 23, 2018 Egg Embry
Latest Pathfinder products in the Open Gaming Store
- Everyman Minis: Kineticist Archetypes
- Remarkable Races Submerged
- The Necromancers Handbook
- Everyman Minis: Dynastic Spells
- Everyman Minis: Age-Shifting Options