guide on flowers & gardening
- Mother’s Day Carnations for Mother’s Day
Mother’s Day Carnations
Mother’s Day Flower arrangement
Mother’s Day Quotations
Mother’s Day Flowers
Mother’s Day Flowers and Gifts
- occasions anniversary-flowers
Flowers and occasions
- Popular Flowers Jasmine
More Popular Flowers
- Cut Flowers Rose
- About Flowers Floral DesignSchools
Rose Flower Meanings
- Flower Types Tropical Flowers
- Have Fun Ask and Answer Flower Questions
Random page on flowers
Read Flower Blog
Quiz on flowers
Roses for the longest time have enjoyed the honor of being the most popular flowers in the world. The reason for popularity of the rose flower may be its wide variety in terms of color, size, fragrance and other attributes.
The rose has been a symbol of love, beauty, even war and politics from way back in time. The variety, color and even number of Roses carry symbolic meanings . The Rose is most popularly known as the flower of love, particularly Red Rose.
Roses have been the most popular choice of flowers for the purpose of gifting across the world. They also act as a great addition to home and office decor. A bunch of roses or even a single rose works wonders aesthetically and considerably enlivens a place. Besides fresh cut roses , artificial flowers like silk roses in different colors are also widely used as decoration.
Some Interesting Facts About Roses
- The birthplace of the cultivated Rose was probably Northern Persia, on the Caspian, or Faristan on the Gulf of Persia.
- Historically , the oldest Rose fossils have been found in Colorado, dating back to more than 35 million years ago.
- Roses were considered the most sacred flowers in ancient Egypt and were used as offerings for the Goddess Isis. Roses have also been found in Egyptian tombs, where they were formed into funeral wreaths.
- Confucius, 551 BC to 479 BC, reported that the Imperial Chinese library had many books on Roses.
- Ancient Sumerians of Mesopotamia (in the Tigris-Euphrates River Valley) mentioned Roses in a cuneiform tablet (a system of writing) written in approximately 2860 BC.
- The English were already cultivating and hybridizing Roses in the 15th Century when the English War of Roses took place. The winner of the war, Tudor Henry VII, created the Rose of England (Tudor Rose) by crossbreeding other Roses.
- While no Black Rose yet exists, there are some of such a deep Red color as to suggest Black.
- Roses are universal and grown across the world.
- The Netherlands is the world’s leading exporter of Roses.
from our stores – Pickupflowers – the flower expert
Classification of Roses
Broadly, Roses are divided into three classes-
Species Roses are often called Wild Species Roses. Species Roses often have relatively simple, 5-petaled flowers followed by very colorful hips that last well into the winter, providing food for birds and winter color.
The most popular Rose species for sale today is Rosa rugosa owing to its superior hardiness, disease resistance, and extremely easy maintenance. Species roses are widely hybridized. Wild Species Roses include many different varieties. Wild Species Roses usually bloom once in the summer.
Old Garden Roses
Old Garden Roses have a delicate beauty and wonderful perfume, not often found in modern hybrid tea roses. Old Garden Roses are a diverse group from the those with a wonderful fragrance and great winter hardiness to the tender and lovely tea roses, which are best suited for warm climates.
Old Garden Roses comprise a multifaceted group that in general are easy to grow, disease-resistant and winter-hardy. Old Garden Roses grow in several shrub and vine sizes. Although colors do vary, this class of Roses are usually white or pastel in color. These "antique Roses" are generally preferred for lawns and home gardens. Several groupings of Roses classified as Old Garden Roses are China Roses, Tea Roses, Moss Roses, Damask Roses, Bourbon Roses, etc.
Old Garden Roses are the predecessors of Modern Roses. This group of Roses are very popular. The Modern Rose is the result of crossbreeding the hybrid tea with the polyanthus (a variety of primrose).
The colors of Modern Roses are varied, rich and vibrant. The most popular roses found in the class of Modern Roses are the Hybrid Tea Roses, Floribunda Roses, and Grandiflora Roses. Although Modern Roses are adored by florists and gardeners, they do require proper care, and do not adapt well to colder environments.
Popular Hybrid Varieties of Roses
|Species Involved||Hybrid Product|
|Hybrid Perpetual Rose and Chinese Tea Rose||Hybrid Tea Rose|
|Hybrid Perpetual Rose and Australian Brier Rose||Yellow Permet Rose|
|R. multiflora and R. chinensis||Hybrid/Dwarf Polyanthas or Poly Pompon roses|
|Hybrid Tea Rose and Floribundas||Grandifloras|
|R. wichuriana, R. multiflora & Hybrid Tea Rose||Dorothy Perkins, American Pillar, Excelsa|
|R. canina and R. gallica||Albas|
|R. phoenica and R. gallica||Damaskas Rose|
|R. damascena and R. alba||Centifolia Rose|
|Autumn Damask Rose and China Rose||Bourbons|
- Roses may be grown in any well-drained soil with optimum sunlight.
- Most Rose varieties are grown by budding on an understock (lower portion of a plant) propagated from seeds or cuttings. Order rose seeds online and let your garden be filled with the marvellous color and fragrance of roses.
- Clay soils, warm temperatures are always preferred, and the rose plants grow best when not set among other plants.
- Cow manure is the preferred fertilizer for Rose cultivation, but other organic fertilizers, especially composts, are also used.
- Rose plants usually require severe pruning, which must be adapted to the intended use of the flowers.
- Trim off all broken and bruised roots on the Rose plant, cut top growth back to 6 to 8 inches.
- Dig planting holes at least 6 inches deeper to accommodate the roots of the Rose plant without crowding or bending.
- Mix 1 tablespoonful of fertilizer with the soil placed over the drainage material.
- Cover this mixture with plain soil, bringing the level to desired planting depth.
- Make a mound in the center to receive the Rose plant.
- Set Rose plant roots over this mound, spread the roots, and fill in with soil.
- Firm the soil tightly 2 or 3 times while filling the hole.
It is extremely easy to buy rose plants online if you do not wish to go to the trouble of actually planting one. They usually come with a care manual and some plant food. An already flowering plant in a lovely container also makes a great gift item. The blooms stay longer and after they fade there is always the next flowering, thus providing the receiver with a lasting and beautiful gift.
Rose Plant Care
- When watering Roses, soak the soil to a depth of 6 to 8 inches, do not merely sprinkle.
- When it comes to fertilizing your roses, Provide a balanced diet to your roses. See what your plant is deficient in and try to include them in the fertilizer. Timing is also an important part to maximize the benefit of your fertilizer so that the nutrients are available to the plant when it needs it most during the active growing and blooming stage.Order your rose fertilizer now to enhance the vigor of blooming in your roses.
- Mulching during the summer will eliminate weeds amonf Rose plants. Mulches should be applied 2 or 3 weeks before the Roses come into bloom.
- Winter mulching with straw, peat moss, or other material is advisable. This mulch regulates the soil temperature and tempers the effects of freezing and thawing on thr Roses.
- Pull soil up around each Rose plant to a height of about 6 inches after the first frost.
Foolproof Guide to Growing Roses
by Field Roebuck is a comprehensive book on growing roses ideal for would-be growers who were always afraid of roses, as well as for gardeners who already grow these beautiful flowers and want to learn more.
from our stores – Pickupflowers – the flower expert
- What are you looking for?
- Types of Flowers
- Cut flowers
- Exotic flowers
- Tropical flowers
- Wild flowers
- Artificial flowers
- Dried flowers
- Browse Flowers by Season
- Browse Flowers by Occasion
- Popular Flowers
- Mother’s Day Specials
- Special Features:
- Interesting Information:
- Flowers and Art
- Meanings of flowers
- Flowers for different occasions
From our stores
References Used – Thanks:
- The History of Rose
- Roses For North Carolina
- Growing Roses the Organic Way
- Species Rose
- Types of Roses
Interesting information on this topic
- All America Rose Selections
- The Meanings Behind the Colors of Roses
- Articles on Rose Growing
- Old Garden Roses and Beyond
- Good Articles on Rose Exhibiting
- Rose Info
- A Brief History of Roses
- Growing Roses
- Rose Magazine
- Success with Roses
Last modified on Dec 2, 2018 | TFE v1.2 | © 2005-2017 Gifting Inc.
- Skip to content
- Skip to secondary menu
- Skip to primary sidebar
Essay on my favorite Flower Rose
My beloved flower is ‘Rose ‘.The rose is called the King of flowers. More than 100 species of rose flower are found. Rose Day is celebrated every year on February 12. This flower is most loved among people for beauty and its softness.
I love the rose flower very dear. It is considered to be the king of flowers.
Its aroma is very attractive and breathtaking.
Rose flower is the world famous for its beauty.
Perfume of rose is also made due to its fragrance.
It is a common plant found in almost every garden.
Rose flower is the world famous for its beauty.
Due to this beauty, Rose Day is celebrated on February 12 in entire India.
Rose is also used in making bouquets and decorations etc.
Gulab water and Gulkand are also made from Gulab flower.
It is found in various colors such as red, white, pink and purple.
The rose plant has small thorns that protect it.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- 10 Lines Essays
- Do My Essay
- Essay on Animals
- Essay on Birds in English
- Essay on Science & Technology
- Famous People
- Famous Places
- Flower Essay in English
- Freedom Fighters of India
- Fruits & Flowers
- Mesothelioma Lawyer
- Motivational Quotes
- Poems for kids
- Shocking facts
- Short Moral Stories for Kids
- Social Issues
- This day in history
- Tree Essay in English
- Few lines on Trees | 10 Sentences about Tree
- Few lines on buffalo | 10 sentences about buffaloes
- 10 lines on television | 10 sentences about television
- 10 lines on sparrow | 10 sentences about bird sparrow
- Short essay on house | few lines on my house