Pizza flavours with melted Cheese and Fresh Basil
Pizzaiola is a Neapolitan dish where meat is slow cooked with tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and white wine to tenderise the meat. It’s basically meat with a pizza flavour. The version of this recipe is made with chicken, which cooks faster and just like a real pizza, it has the addition of melted cheese and fresh basil.
For the Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 Black olives (optional)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine.
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano.
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices Mozzarella cheese
- A few leaves of Fresh basil
- Salt & pepper
For the spaghetti
- 7oz – 200g dry spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt for water
- Step 1
Preheat your oven to 400°F – 200°C.
- Step 2
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place a large oven proof frying pan on low to medium heat and brown the chicken breasts on each side. Once seared and nicely browned, set aside on a plate (chicken should not be cooked through).
- Step 3
To the same pan, add the garlic, then deglaze with white wine, add the oregano, chicken stock, tomato puree, grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Mix well and tear up some fresh basil leaves into the sauce.
- Step 4
Return the chicken breast to the same pan, add any of the juices. Place two slices of Mozzarella cheese to cover each chicken breast. Add the olives to the sauce and place in oven and bake at 400°F – 200°C for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 5
Heat up some water in a large pot and add salt once boiling. Add your spaghetti and cook al dente. Once cooked drain, and coat with olive oil and mix in grated Parmesan cheese. Divide in two and place on serving plates. (heat up plates first)
- Step 6
Remove chicken from oven, cheese should be melted and a little brown. Place over spaghetti and scoop out all the sauce around the each breast.
or cancel reply
You must be logged in to post a comment
By Joel Mielle
- Preparation Time: 15 min + (overnight soak)
- Cook Time: 20
- Ready Time: 35min
- Servings: 2
- Category: Chicken
- Difficulty Level:
Share this recipe
Spanish Style Chicken
Roasted tarragon chicken with rich onion and garlic gravy
Healthy Thai Chicken Salad Thai Larb
Thai Crispy Spicy Garlic Fried Chicken
powered by chloédigital
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breast fillets (skin on and wingbone attached, optional)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red and 1 yellow capsicum, thinly sliced
- 125g small button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 roma tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, plus extra to garnish
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white wine
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 4 slices provolone piccante cheese
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick frypan on medium-high heat. Cook seasoned chicken 2 minutes each side until golden. Roast on a baking tray for 10 minutes until cooked. Cover to keep warm.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan over medium heat. Cook onion for 5 minutes, add garlic, capsicum and mushroom, then cook for 5 minutes more. Add tomato, paste and oregano, and cook for 5 minutes. Add liquid, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Step 3Top chicken with cheese, then melt in the oven for 1 minute. Serve topped with sauce and garnished with extra oregano.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
provolone piccante cheese from delis; substitute mozzarella.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Mark Roper
- Publication: Taste.com.au
This recipe features in
comments & ratings