- Any of the modified sudiferous glands producing a waxy secretion and situated in the external auditory canal.
- alt=”The 2018 Word of the Year is…” />The 2018 Word of the Year is…
- Can You Translate These Famous Phrases From Emoji?
- These Are the Longest Words in English
- These Are the Saddest Phrases in English
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Others Are Reading
Word of the Day
- Words We Get Wrong: How Many of These Can You Say?
- Did You Know Real People Write the Dictionary?
Nearby words for ceruminous gland
- ceruminous gland
- cervantes, miguel de
Jump to navigation
Jump to search
Ceruminous glands are specialized sudoriferous glands (sweat glands) located subcutaneously in the external auditory canal , in the outer 1/3. Ceruminous glands are simple, coiled, tubular glands made up of an inner secretory layer of cells and an outer myoepithelial layer of cells.  They are classed as apocrine glands. The glands drain into larger ducts, which then drain into the guard hairs that reside in the external auditory canal .  Here they produce cerumen , or earwax, by mixing their secretion with sebum and dead epidermal cells. Cerumen keeps the eardrum pliable, lubricates and cleans the external auditory canal , waterproofs the canal, kills bacteria, and serves as a barrier to trap foreign particles (dust, fungal spores, etc.) by coating the guard hairs of the ear, making them sticky. 
These glands are capable of developing both benign and malignant tumors. The benign tumors include ceruminous adenoma , ceruminous pleomorphic adenoma , and ceruminous syringocystadenoma papilliferum . The malignant tumors include ceruminous adenocarcinoma , adenoid cystic carcinoma , and mucoepidermoid carcinoma . 
See also[ edit ]
- List of specialized glands within the human integumentary system
References[ edit ]
- ^ a b Saladin, KS (2010). Anatomy and Physiology: The Unity of Form and Function (5th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill. Ceruminous Glands, p. 204 (220). ISBN 978-0-39-099995-5 .
- ^ a b Pathology of Ceruminous Gland Tumors of the External Auditory Canal at eMedicine
External links[ edit ]
- Anatomy Atlases – Ceruminous Gland
|This anatomy article is a stub . You can help Wikipedia by expanding it .|
- Anatomy stubs
- All stub articles
- This page was last edited on 29 October 2018, at 06:59 (UTC).
- Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;
- About Wikipedia
- Contact Wikipedia
- Cookie statement
- Mobile view